Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sweaters for Penguins

This week, I decided to do something fun for my blog post. Well, something maybe a little bit more fun than just a history lesson or knitting accomplishment. I'm almost done with one sleeve, so that's exciting, but I thought this would be more fun to talk about.

Apparently, there was a giant oil spill in New Zealand recently, and the penguins, as well as other wildlife that live in the region, are suffering from the after-effects. A yarn store in New Zealand has started a worldwide effort to help through knitting, and it sounds really cool. Knitting sweaters for penguins is a new fad, and it has great benefits for the birds. Wearing the sweaters keep the penguins from trying to clean themselves with their beaks, which can cause poisoning from the oil. And, the sweaters keep them warm while they're waiting for their turn to be clean, just like any other sweater should.

For me, this is something that I'll definitely take part in after I finish my sweater, because I know that if I start another project, I may never finish my original. I already have too many unfinished projects that I need to finish at some point or another. But I encourage anyone who is interested to go to this link for more information, the pattern, and some really cute pictures: http://jezebel.com/5851711/the-worldwide-campaign-to-knit-sweaters-for-penguins-affected

No comments:

Post a Comment