Monday, September 5, 2011

The Dreaded Swatch

Ever since I learned of the existence of the swatch, I have loathed it with a passion. I know they are important to gauge and all that, but I really dislike the feeling of doing something seemingly unproductive when I could be working on an actual project.

But since I want to do this project with as few problems as possible, that means taking precautions, putting my hatred aside, and knitting not one, but two swatches.

I finished my swatches and washed one to see if the gauge would change or if the yarn happened to somehow felt itself or do something else drastic. It proved to be normal yarn, and after the swatch dried, the gauge remained the same as before. So, with this unhappy task of making swatches out of the way and the proof that the yarn won't change on me after I finish my project, now I can actually start on my sweater.

Left swatch: not washed. Right swatch: washed.

No comments:

Post a Comment