Sunday, September 11, 2011

There and Back Again

The back of a sweater is always the most boring part of a sweater for me. Besides the swatches. But thankfully, this time I didn't get to the end and have to go back and take anything out as I have in the past. I finished the back of the sweater without much trouble, much to my excitement. I did have some problems picking up stitches from the edge of the waistband: spacing the stitches out and on top of that picking up the right amount of stitches proved to be a bit difficult. But I managed to do it somehow, and went on with the rest of the back.

In my previous experiences working with increases, I always did a knit in front and back on the first or last stitch of a row. However, after discovering that that technique leaves an awkwardly placed bump in the midst of nice-looking stockinette stitch, I tried something different this time. Two stitches in from each end of a row, I picked up a stitch in between stitches, creating a new stitch and a small hole, something I can fix when sewing the sweater together. Thus, the back is finished, complete with armholes and everything.

Hopefully my luck will continue to hold out to the finish and I won't have to get there and then go back again.

Stitches on both sides of the waistband were picked up
and knitted to make the top and bottom of the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment