Monday, August 29, 2011

The Pattern

I probably should have included my pattern in all the introductions of the first post. But I didn't, and having no particular reason for doing so, I'll go straight into introducing the pattern, as it's kind of vital to my project.

The pattern for the sweater/jacket that I'm making is from a small booklet issued by Berroco, titled Berroco #228: Blackstone Tweed and designed by the Berroco Design Team, Cirilia Rose, Norah Gaughan, and Donna Yacino. The pattern itself is called "nonpareil", which means "no equal", apparently in English (I thought it was French). The pattern is classified as intermediate; however that is a relative label, so we'll see how difficult it is.

I did quite a bit of research on different yarn possibilities other than the original recommendation of Berroco Blackstone Tweed. Wool of the Andes was a strong candidate, as was Cascade 220. Both yarns had similar gauges and felt similar to the Blackstone Tweed, and had colors that I liked. Silky Wool XL, Lamb's Pride, and Portland Tweed were also possibilities, but had smaller gauges. In the end, I chose to stick with the original. Factoring in shipping, yardage, the number of skeins, gauge and my comfort zone, I decided the Blackstone Tweed would be the best choice. So after making my decision, I now have the right amount of Berroco Blackstone Tweed in Bright Teal and am ready to start my swatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment